SA National Cookie Swap – how the cookie crumbled
The first South African National cookie swap happened this Saturday past, 14 September. It was the third one in Cape Town and the first in Durban and Johannesburg. If you want to know how it all started in 2011, read here, and if you want to join in the next one, let me know on the blog. It’s a project I am passionate about and I look forward to the 4th Cape Town event and 2nd National Cookie Swap coming up in the new year.
The inspiration behind the local Cookie Swap
I’ve based the cookie swap concept on the fabulous events held in New York by friends and bloggers and my hope is that we utilise our voices and platforms to make some small difference. I can’t coordinate it all alone though. This year, at the suggestion of my friend Kim, we took the event to Johannesburg and Durban too, and I hope it’s planted the sugary seed of temptation and more bloggers, bakers and others will join us at future events.
This year we chose to support Khayelitsha Cookies who I know are doing fantastic work in the community by empowering local women with skills and employment. Adri Williams, the director mentioned that one of their goals is to buy new shoes and chairs for the women at the new factory premises.
We raised R17 500 across the three venues, in entrance tickets and auction items and as it turns out, this amount will be able to cover the shoes and chairs needed by the organisation. An enormous thank you to everyone who attended and supported us!
Venues & Hosts
And, my heartfelt thanks to Kim Mari for hosting in Johannesburg and the lovely duo Verushka and Faeema who hosted in Durban. – See more at: http://www.foodandthefabulous.com/the-fabulous/sa-national-cooke-swap-14-september-2013/#sthash.MQlOZfMe.dpuf
I have a long list of people to thank, and invariably I will forget someone – please do forgive me. First and foremost, to all the bakers and non-bakers who attended, you are awesome and we hope you didn’t have too much of a dip after the sugar rush!
- Jon Meinking/ ishotimagesZA – photographs in Cape Town
- Random House Struik: cookbook hamper
- NoMu – hot chocolate and sweet rub hamper
- Majeka House – stay, dinner and spa treatment
- Jorgensens – Vodka and Brandy
- De Grendel – fine dining for two and bottle of MCC
- Diemerdal Eatery – tapas lunch for two and bottle of wine
- Bos Ice tea- ice teas for Jhb & Dbn and hamper for CT
- Real Concerts – Johnny Clegg tickets at the Baxter
- Cape Wine Academy – South African Wine Course x 2 – for each venue
- Rain – hamper for Durban
- Wonderland Collective: Original Shaker – cocktail kits for each venue
- Ferrari Experience – Durban (private sponsor)
- Honest Chocolate, Le Creuset bakeware for Cape Town – private sponsors
- Healthy care package – Tandy Sales
- Eco Pack – containers and forks for Cape Town event
- New Media – Taste magazines for Cape Town and Joburg
- John Brown Media – Fresh Living magazines – Cape Town
- Philosophia Botanica
- Zola Nene, Jan Tripepi, Hein van Tonder, Ma Govender – baking angels
Send me your links and I’ll share them here
4. Hein van Tonder at Hein Stirred – do check out his fabulous Cowboy Cookies. And no, I’m not being rude here 😉
These lovely pics from director Adri Williams, of the ladies receiving their new shoes. Thanks for everyone who contributed to make this happen!