I asked on Twitter and Facebook, which of two ice creams you’d prefer the recipe for first, a White Chocolate and Raspberry one (my husband’s choice) or this Creamy Lemon ice cream with Limoncello. The lemon was is the lead by a mile!
I wonder if it has anything to do with the addition of the popular Italian liqueur. Feel free to leave it out or substitute with good lemon syrup available at some delis if you want an alcohol free version; add a few tablespoons less sugar if you use the syrup.
Possibly, the scent of lemons, that invigorating, crisp fragrance released the instant you pierce the waxy skin, is the pleasure trigger. It makes me think of glasses of ice cold water, the ice cubes clinking against the sides or cola with slices of lemon in summer, of green salads, grilled fish and calamari and lemon curd served on light crepes. There’s something about lemons and summer that makes them natural partners, don’t you think? Come to think of it, there are a hundred gorgeous applications for them in winter too. Shall we just agree that lemons are most agreebale?
Go on, enjoy a scoopful or three…
500 ml fresh cream (whipping or reduced fat)
2 medium lemons, zested
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 t lemon extract
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 t maizena (corn flour)
1/3 cup Limoncello
1. In a pot on medium heat add cream, sugar, maizena, lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon and bring to a simmer and whisk. Allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. When cool, pour through a sieve and add remaining lemon zest and limoncello, stir through.
4. Churn in ice cream make for 40 – 60 minutes or if making by hand, follow David Lebovitz’s method.
5. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.