SA National Cookie Swap – Cookie Swap 3
When my friend Kim Mari asked me about a Joburg version of Cookie Swap – an event we’ve held over the last two years in Cape Town, we decided to take the event to 3 cities on the same day. And so #CookieSwap3 was born.
What’s a Cookie Swap?
A cookie swap – inspired by the annual New York Cookie swap – is an event where a group of (not exclusive to blogger, cooks, foodies) people get together to do exactly that: swap cookies.
We try to make it a fun event where people from Twitter, and some off can meet, have a drink and mingle and go home with as many cookies as they came with. We have held one in 2011 and one last year in Cape Town, close to the end of the year.
I contacted Khayelitsha Cookies who I know are doing fantastic work in the community by empowering local women with skills and employment. Adri mentioned that one of their goals is to buy new shoes and chairs for the women at the new factory premises.
A total of R12 000 or there abouts is needed.
While we may not be able to raise all the funds, we hope that our efforts on the day and in the run up to the event on Saturday will help to raise the profile of the organisation.
Today we heard that Crocs have stepped in to help subsidise the shoes – we’re thrilled!
Venues & Hosts
Thank you to our host venues: Dear Me Food World in Cape Town, Moema’s in Parktown North, Jozi and Piatto Florida Road in Durban for offering up a space for us to gather and swap cookies.
CT & DBN – starts at noon on 14 September. JHB: 3PM, 14 September
And, my heartfelt thanks to Kim Mari who will be hosting in Johannesburg and the lovely duo Verushka and Faeema who will host you Durban.
What to Expect
Bakers: Bring R50 entrance fee and bake 60 cookies, chocs, fudge or home made sweet or savoury treat, in a container. Also bring 15 copies of the recipe and your details if others want it. No packaging this year!
We will display all the containers, and sample from all. Lunch sarmies, treats and drinks are being prepared by the venues – it will be a cash bar concept.
Non-bakers: R100 entrance and you can sample from a limited cookie tray provided for you. Don’t tell us you have FOMO later 😉 But, you’re most welcome to mingle with us.
We only have a few tickets left so please do send us your details asap if you’d like to join.
Come with your cookies to have some fun and meet your community. Tweet using the #cookiecheer3 hashtag and bring some cash to bid on the awesome prizes. What prizes? Read below….
1. Stay for 2, for 1 night, dinner plus a Himalayan Salt Therapy session at the very stylish Majeka House in Stellenbosch valued at R2760 – CT
2. A goody bag with Maslow branded Poetry bar, pen and a voucher -meal for two in Lacuna Bistro with two signature cocktails on arrival. Valued at R1000 – The Maslow Hotel Sun International – JHB
3. De Grendel: Dinner for two at De Grendel Restaurant with bottle of De Grendel MCC. Prize valued at R700. Chef Ian Bergh – CT
4. Cookbook hamper from Random Struik including Jane-Anne Hobb’s Scrumptious, Sam Woulidge’s Confessions of a Hungry Woman and Sarah Graham’s Bitten and others. Valued over R1500…. CT
5. Courses from Cape Wine Academy for CT, JHB, DBN
6. 2 X Tickets to see Johnny Clegg at the Baxter on 17 September, worth R700 from Real Concerts. – CT
Here are some of our other amazing sponsors, and a huge shout out to Jon Meinking who will be taking photos for us in Cape Town.
There may be a few spots left at each venue – leave a comment here or on the FB page with your name if you’d like to join!
Hi! Just heard about this from a colleague and would LOVE to be a part of it! Do have 4 tickets available?
Hi Lindsay – which town are you in? Of course, we’d love to have you…