http://website.sablogawards.com/2011/vote/voteforme/3955 Above lieth a badge of contention.
SA Blog Awards 2011 – Should you vote for Food and the Fabulous?
Well, hear me out before you roll your eyes, okay?
It’s taken me a week to put up this badge. I’ve bounced around the arguments in my head one hundred times. If you witnessed (or were involved in) the Blog Awards last year, you’ll remember two things distinctly, controversy and much unhappiness. Couldn’t have been fun for the winners either, knowing that the community upon whom you rely for support, was not impressed nor very supportive. This was before I started blogging myself and my questions were as follows:
- ” Why be involved in something that causes so much bitterness?” – there were issues raised around procedure and voting amongst others and,
- “Do you need a badge to validate your worth?”
What I like about this blog:
- The design. An ode to Julia Child, I have put my heart, soul and a fair bit of money into designing Food and the Fabulous and the evolution never stops. Just ask the designers.
- Content – I have tried to produce high quality recipes to encourage learning cooks, travel pieces to entice you and local and overseas restaurant and market reports that are honest. My content (written word and photos) is always varied.
- I am independent. Any blogger would tell you, this is not easy as eventually, the $5 agents do come knocking and Lord knows it would be nice to pay for the coffee sometimes. I don’t advertise. If I mention a product, it’s because I believe in it. If it was gifted (rarely) and I feature it, chances are I will buy it for myself. I do it this way so when I give something a Food & the Fab stamp of approval, you can trust it. This just works for me.
- I’ve found ways to incorporate goodwill and the charities I work with, these activities that ultimately give my life meaning, in getting a loving food and wine community to use their voices to give back. This would have been less successful if it wasn’t for the blog.
- Food and Football? Come on, at least that’s worthy of a second look.
- Everyday, there is something new to learn. Who knew all those settings on my fancy camera existed! Who knew I’d spend hours looking for the word that’s-just-right and in the end, delete the paragraph? Who knew anyone would read this!?